Gemcitabine and paclitaxel are among the most active new agents in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and are worth considering for second-line chemotherapy. In this phase I-II study, we combined gemcitabine and paclitaxel for second-line treatment of advanced NSCLC. Gemcitabine doses were kept fixed at 1000 mg/m2 on day 1 and 8, and paclitaxel doses were escalated from 90 mg/m2 on day 1 of the 21-day cycle. Thirty-seven patients were treated at six different dose levels. Grade 4 neutropenia was dose-limiting toxicity (DLT), since it occurred in two out of six patients treated at paclitaxel 240 mg/m2; the paclitaxel dose level just below (210 mg/m2) was selected for phase Il evaluation. Non-hematologic toxicity was mild. One complete response (CR) (3%) and 13 partial responses (PR) (36%) were observed in 36 evaluable patients for an overall response rate of 39% (95% C.I., 23-57%). Median duration of response was 35 weeks (range, 8-102). All of the observed objective responses occurred in the 19 patients who had previously responded to the first-line therapy. Median survival was 40 weeks (range, 8-108 weeks). The combination of gemcitabine and paclitaxel is a feasible, well-tolerated, and active scheme for second-line treatment of advanced NSCLC; further evaluation, at least in selected patients, such as those previously responding to first-line chemotherapy, is definitely warranted.
Iaffaioli, R., Tortoriello, A., Gravina, A., Facchini, G., Turitto, G., Elia, S., et al. (2000). Phase I-II study of gemcitabine and paclitaxel in pretreated patients with stage IIIB-IV non-small cell lung cancer. LUNG CANCER, 30(3), 203-210.
|Tipologia:||Articolo su rivista|
|Citazione:||Iaffaioli, R., Tortoriello, A., Gravina, A., Facchini, G., Turitto, G., Elia, S., et al. (2000). Phase I-II study of gemcitabine and paclitaxel in pretreated patients with stage IIIB-IV non-small cell lung cancer. LUNG CANCER, 30(3), 203-210.|
|IF:||Con Impact Factor ISI|
|Settore Scientifico Disciplinare:||Settore MED/21 - Chirurgia Toracica|
|Revisione (peer review):||Esperti anonimi|
|Stato di pubblicazione:||Pubblicato|
|Data di pubblicazione:||dic-2000|
|Titolo:||Phase I-II study of gemcitabine and paclitaxel in pretreated patients with stage IIIB-IV non-small cell lung cancer|
|Autori:||Iaffaioli, R; Tortoriello, A; Gravina, A; Facchini, G; Turitto, G; Elia, S; Griffo, S; Gentile, M; Fraioli, G; Frattolillo, A; Muto, P; Libutti, M; De Marino, V; Illiano, A; Barbarisi, A|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||01 - Articolo su rivista|